Tonight I was craving blueberries and chicken. I’ve never had it before, but I picked up some blueberries at the store today and for some reason, the combination just sounded perfect. Go figure.
Looking online, I found a stove-top version that looked good from AllRecipes, and a baked one from A Few Short Cuts. I decided to combine the two, and put my own healthy spin on them by using honey instead of sugar, and raw apple cider vinegar for its various health benefits. The coconut oil I used in the side items is also supposed to be some sort of wonder food.
And, of course, it’s portioned for one: little ol’ me.
Baked Blueberry Chicken With Asparagus and Coconut Rice
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Splash Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Cup Uncooked Rice
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Bunch Asparagus
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Heat the honey and blueberries over medium heat, stirring constantly. The berries will start to release their juices as they heat (yum!).
- Bring them to a boil, then allow to boil for 1 minute, still stirring.
- Remove from heat and add mustard and vinegar. Adjust quantities so you can taste each of the flavors, or to your liking, at this point.
- Pour over thawed chicken breast in an oven-safe container (I used my smallest cast iron pan), and bake at 350*F for 30 minutes.
- While it’s baking, cook your rice using your preferred method, and throw about 1 Tbsp of coconut oil into the water while it cooks.
- About 15 minutes before your chicken is done, start your asparagus steaming. Cook for around 10 minutes after the water begins to boil, or until they are bright green and tender. Serve slathered in the remaining Tbsp coconut oil.
- Serve the chicken over the rice with the asparagus on the side, and dump the extra blueberry sauce all over everything. YUM!
While a delicious recipe, it does temporarily stain your teeth blue-black, so it may not be the best date food! ;)